Explorations in the Arts opens Enrolment for its 2015 Edition
The Salama bint Hamdan Al Nahyan Foundation invites current university students to join the Explorations in the Arts program for 2015.
The program is designed to expand young UAE nationals’ and long-term residents’ awareness and knowledge around the future of arts and creative industries in the UAE as well as the careers available in them. It is particularly aimed at individuals who are considering a career in the creative field, and would benefit from being exposed to the diverse practices in the U.A.E.
The program consists of three unique components that are:
- The UAE Based Program – is in collaboration with arts-related organizations in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Sharjah, where a curriculum has been built that introduces the students to the UAE’s art scene and allows them to understand the possible careers in it. Since this field in the UAE is growing significantly it is important to create awareness on its different careers.
- Internship Program – is a month-long hands on experience through a summer internship at an arts-related organization in the UAE, to help students learn about the different careers in art and understand first-hand what it means to work in it day in and out.
- International Study Trip – is an 8 day study tour to Berlin. During this trip the students will visit galleries, museums, artists’ studios, creative spaces, and renowned art universities. Through these visits they will meet curators, gallerists and artists, and get a chance to participate in workshops conducted by these individuals.
- Current university student
- Good academic standing
- Possess strong English language comprehension and verbal communication
- Hardworking, mature individuals
- Engaged in extracurricular activities
- Have an interest in pursuing a career in the U.A.E
- An interest or skill in the Arts is not mandatory though is a plus
- UAE national or long term resident
Please note that this program is open to men and women, and that parents of selected participants will be required to sign a release form granting permission to participate in all three components of the program.
Please note that participants who do not successfully complete the UAE based program and summer internship will not be able to join the international study trip to Berlin.
To apply now, please e-mail: email@example.com the following required documents:
- Passport copy + UAE residency visa page if applicable
- Personal statement – why should you be selected for this program (500 words)
- A short essay answering the following questions:
What are your future aspirations?
Why do you think a creative industry is important for a community?
What are you current opinions and perceptions about the Art/creative scene in the U.A.E (it’s ok if you don’t know much about it)
- If you have a portfolio, please submit that too.
Note: All documents must be in PDF format.
- Applicants apply
- A committee reviews applications
- Applicants are shortlisted
- Finalists attend an in-person interview
- 12 final participants are selected
Application deadline: April 21st 2015